Echinacea and flavonoid combination
• Echinacea angustifolia is traditionally used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections and to help relieve sore throats
• Provides 1000 mg of Echinacea root per daily dose
• Includes 480 mg of grapefruit fruit extract (9600 mg Dried Equivalent, standardized to 45% bioflavonoids) per daily dose
• 80 mg of green tea leaf and 40 mg of peppermint leaf per daily dose
Citrigen is a source of Echinacea angustifolia, which is traditionally used to help decrease symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) and sore throats. Echinacea reduces the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines from immune cells and invading pathogens, including IL-6 and TNF-α, which contribute to symptoms of URTI.1 Adults who consumed 100 mg of Echinacea root extract daily demonstrated significantly decreased pro-inflammatory IL-6 and TNF-α mRNA levels after four weeks of supplementation.2 Echinacea also stimulates the phagocytic activity of immune cells and decreases the survival of bacteria.1,3 Research demonstrates that echinacea can decrease the secretion of mucin, reducing the amount of mucous produced during infections.3 TRPV1 is a pain receptor present in sensory tissues that integrates pain and inflammatory responses.4 Desensitization of this receptor can block the transmission pain, and receptor agonists may therefore exert analgesic effects.4 In vitro research demonstrates that Echinacea angustifolia root is 10 times more effective at activating the TRPV1 receptor than capsaicin, a strong ligand for the receptor.4 As echinacea can activate and desensitize this receptor, it helps reduce pain associated with infections, including sore throats.4
1. Woelkart, K, Bauer, R. Planta Med. 2007; 73(7): 615-623.
2. Hudson, JB. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. 2012; 2012: 769896.
3. Dapas, B, Dall’Acqua, S, Bulla, R, Agostinis, C, Perissutti, B, Invernizzi, S, Voinovich, D, Grassi, G. Phytomedicine. 2014; 21: 1406_1410.
4. Birt, DF, Widrlechner, MP, LaLone, CA, Wu, L, Bae, J, Solco, AKS, Kraus, GA, Murphy, PA, Wurtele, ES, Leng, Q, Hebert, SC, Maury, WJ, Price, JP. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87(2): 488S-492S.
- Product Code: 90 caps
- Availability: In Stock